BOLT Staffing http://www.boltstaffing.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/BOLT-Social-Logo.png http://www.boltstaffing.com http://www.boltstaffing.com USD 147948000 234684000 YEAR true
Deputy Commissioner - Legal
San Francisco, CA US
Posted: 05/31/23 2023-05-11 2023-06-07 Industry: Legal Job Number: 125647 Pay Rate: $147,948k - $234,684k/year
Deputy Commissioner, Legal
San Francisco / Sacramento / Los Angeles / San Diego
Direct Hire - $147,948k - $234,684k/year
job number 125647
CalHR and CalPERS benefits are included
Are you a Deputy Commissioner, Legal looking to take your career to the next level? We are seeking a candidate that encapsulates the qualities of a good lawyer; responsiveness, good speaking, listening, research, and analytical skills. Our client is sourcing for an individual that could live in the San Francisco, Sacramento, Los Angeles, or San Diego area. This is a hybrid role. Office days, you will be able to work in one of the locations listed above. This role is under the general direction of the General Counsel, the Deputy Commissioner, Legal is responsible for the legal program of the Department of Financial Protection and Innovation (DFPI). This includes:
- Planning, organizing, directing, coordinating, and reviewing the work of the professional legal staff; acting as legal advisor to the top management; preparing legislation and representing the Department before the Legislature
- Formulating legal policy; acting as the chief operating officer on Legal matters; and participating as a member of top management in the development and implementation of department policy.
On the job responsibilities will include:
Specific Assignments [Essential (E) / Marginal (M) Functions:
Specific Assignments [Essential (E) / Marginal (M) Functions:
- 35% Leadership (E): Directly managing and working with four (4) Assistant Chief Counsel staff in Legal.
- Plans, organizes, and directs the work of the Legal Division consisting of examiners, attorneys, and support staff. Provides policy and program direction for the Security Regulation program and Franchise Regulation program.
- Conducts meetings to deny or resolve questions on applications/licensees, including financial closings for securities.
- Performs and coordinates legal work in liquidations of financial institutions conducted by the Department.
- Develops comprehensive management plans to address the Department’s short and long-term business regulations needs.
- Advises the Commissioner, Chief Deputy Commissioner, General Counsel in the development of strategies, goals, and program objectives in the area of business regulation.
- Serves as a member of the Executive Committee. Identifies and implements improvements for the Legal Division programs.
- Collaborates with other programs in the Department to ensure operations run effectively through the entire business process.
- 30% Legal Advisor (E): Serves as an advisor to the Commissioner, Chief Deputy Commissioner, General Counsel and other members of the Executive Staff by analyzing policy, reviewing issue memos, preparing policy option papers; reviews and helps finalize legal opinions, rulemaking efforts and Department positions with respect to business regulations and legislation impacting the statutes under the Department’s jurisdiction.
- Advises the Commissioner, Chief Deputy Commissioner, and General Counsel concerning interpretations of law, policies, procedures, pertaining to the laws administered by the Department and Legal Division regarding application, enforcement and litigation issues.
- Provides oral briefings and presentations to the Commissioner, Executive Staff, Agency, and the Governor’s Office on sensitive issues, policy issues, and business regulation matters.
- Provides interpretations and analyses of laws, regulations and court rulings affecting the programs, duties, functions and responsibilities of the Department.
- Disseminates laws and regulations to Department staff and provides summaries, outlines and educational programs to enable staff to apply the laws and regulations in an appropriate manner.
- Prepares periodic reports to the Commissioner/Chief Deputy Commissioner and General Counsel relative to the activities of business regulations.
- 10% Legal Policy and Planning Director (E): Participate as a member of the Department’s top management in the development and implementation of departmental policy including strategic planning for the Department and identifying needed legislation and
- 10% Stakeholder Liaison (E): Serves as a liaison with key business constituencies to identify concerns that may require changes in Department business regulation activities; assists the Commissioner in arranging business regulation stakeholder meetings. Represents
the Commissioner, Chief Deputy Commissioner, and General Counsel as a member of various boards, task forces, and committee’s and before other State, local, or federal governmental agencies in matters relating to the Department.
- 5% Management (E): Plans, organizes, directs and provides day-to-day managerial review of the work performed by staff in the Legal Office.
- Provides regular and timely written performance appraisals to staff.
- Counsels staff and initiates disciplinary actions as necessary.
- Recruits, hires, trains, develops and provides leadership to staff. Complies with state and federal laws, rules, regulations, bargaining unit contracts, and policies in all personnel practices, including, but not limited to: hiring, employee development and management. Identifies appropriate long-range plans and goals to address succession planning and knowledge transfer.
- 5% Legal Operations (E): Supervise the management of the operations of the Legal Office including development and review of budgets and preparing Budget Change Proposals.
- 5% Administrative (M): Performs administrative duties including, but not limited to: adheres to Department policies, rules and procedures; submits administrative requests including leave, overtime, travel, and training in a timely and appropriate manner;
accurately reports time to the Lead Timekeeper and submits timesheets by the due date.
Interested in this job opportunity? Call directly to 209-307-6115 to learn more and apply!
Job seekers with experience in the following positions are encouraged to apply.
Civil Service Commissioner
Deputy Labor Commissioner
Assistant Deputy Labor Commissioner
Deputy City Labor Commissioner